Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How to Resolve Disputes With Difficult Neighbors



Tips from today’s show

How to Resolve Disputes With Difficult Neighbors

1. Check your attitude before leaving the house.  Leave your ego in the closet.
2. Upon arriving at their home, begin by introducing yourself. Offer some information about who you are so they feel a bit more at ease speaking with you.
“Hi. I’m Janet, your neighbor in the green house down the block. I just moved here a few weeks ago.”
3. Next, take a few moments and make small talk. Get to know the other party. Show an interest in who they are.
“How long have you lived here?  It seems like a really nice neighborhood.”
4. Say something positive. Offer a compliment if possible.
“Your house is lovely, especially the gardens in the front by the driveway.”
5. State your concern about the issue at hand, offering them the benefit of the doubt.
“I’m sure you don’t realize it but sometimes your dogs bark really late at night. I hate to even bring it up but it wakes up my baby.”
6. Make your request (not “demand”).
“Can you bring them indoors by 7pm? That’s when I put my daughter in her crib for the night.”
7. Negotiate the issue if necessary being willing to make some compromises.
8. End on a positive note, thanking the other party for their time and cooperation.
“I really appreciate your help. I’m happy to be a part of this neighborhood and hope to get to know everyone better.”

And remember:
Always speak to the other party with dignity and respect. Never accuse, make assumptions or threaten. More often than not, people will try to resolve their issues when treated fairly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment